Founder & Principal Drum Tutor
Gary is a unique, exciting and dynamic performer, and has built an extensive touring and recording history; playing in many varied musical styles worldwide for over 25 years. He has been named as a prominent drummer in several well known publications including Modern Drummer and Rhythm magazines. After many years of experience teaching privately and with larger establishments – including among them Drum Tech and Thames Valley University, at which he co-wrote the curriculum – Gary founded his own school.
It was clear Gary had a natural affinity with and great passion for teaching early on in his career, and students of his include Will Champion of Coldplay, and Steve Sidelnyk, who plays drums with Madonna. He is known for his excellence in the teaching field and his school offers one to one and group tuition in Drums, Bass Guitar, Guitar, Piano, and Vocal lessons, where the ethic for all teachers at the school is to teach musical appreciation as well as skill. Gary and his associates feel it is important for the teacher to perform regularly themselves and to genuinely enjoy passing on the knowledge and experience they have to give which, along with his professionalism and integrity, qualify him to be among the best drum teachers in London. Gary has been a performer from the age of 4, appearing first with his parent’s band as a vocalist and subsequently progressing to drums, guitar, and bass guitar. In addition to being a professional drummer, percussionist and vocalist since the age of 18, his in-depth knowledge and experience of music both rhythmically and melodically, make him an excellent drum teacher, sight-reader, and musical director.
Gary has recorded many important sessions for such prominent producers as Richard Niles, Marius De Vries, Ben Fenner, and Tom Newman as well as others, these include:
- Big Chief – “It don’t make sense” (Album tracks)
- Chrissie Hynde – “Eye of the Beholder OST” (Album tracks)
- Ewan McGregor/Nicole Kidman – “Moulin Rouge OST” (Album and film tracks)
- Kick Angel – “Misunderstood” (Single)
- Kylie Minogue (forthcoming DVD soundtrack)
- Laura Michelle Kelly – “The Storm Inside” (Album tracks)
- LW5 – “Get to know you” (Album tracks)
- Manuka – “People watching” (Album tracks)
- Mel C – “Northern Star” (Album tracks)
- S Club 7 – “Reach” (No.1 single)
- Skin – “Fleshwounds” (Album tracks)
- Steve Hackett – “To Watch the Storms”, “Live Archive ’03”, “Live ’04”, “Wild Orchids” (Album tracks) “Somewhere in South America … Live at Teatro Coliseo Buenos Aires”, “Once Above A Time” (DVD)
Gary toured worldwide with famous high society function band; The Dark Blues, from 1987 to 2003 at various important venues and events such as Prince Charles’ 40th birthday celebrations, alongside artists and entertainers including Jasper Carrot, Roger Whittaker, Ronnie Corbett, Eartha Kitt, and Frank Carson, as well as performing regularly as deputy for the hit musical “Cats” from 1983 until it closed down in 2002, and is now regular deputy for the current hit West End show “We Will Rock You”.In addition his touring history includes performances with: 25th of May, Bombdroppers, Bucks Fizz, China Crisis, Delfins (Portugal), Echobelly, Frank Gambale, LW5, Manuka, Monroe’s (Norway), Nerious Joseph, Orphy Robinson, Papa Dee, Steve Hackett, and the Urban Big Band, among many others.