One-to-One bass guitar lessons in Central London
Learn to play bass like a pro from a pro! Our bass guitar lessons are one-to-one and typically weekly – unless you need more lessons per week for whatever reason.
Bass lessons at the Gary O’Toole music School encourage you to understand the technicalities of your instrument, and then apply this knowledge to the bass guitar’s role in a number of bands and musical genres.
Lessons are 40 minutes at £30 for adults or an hour lesson at £45. We also have 30 minute lessons at £25 for child students usually up to age 8 or 9. The lessons are usually a minimum of once a week, but this can be adapted based on the rate of your own practice and development.
- Right hand fingerstyle technique
- Consistency of sound when plucking notes
- Left hand movement around the neck
- Initial major and minor scales and arpeggios
- Your first riffs and songs
- Different right hand techniques; plucking, slapping, muting and so on
- Tone and sound options on the bass
- More advanced scales and arpeggios
- Playing grooves and songs from different genres
- Improvising; playing through changes and soloing
- Extended techniques such as harmonics, tapping, picking and chords
- Advanced scales and modes
- Applying genre specific ideas to the bass, and gaining all round musicianship
The central idea of bass teaching at the school is to take all of these ideas, and see how they have worked throughout key songs and genres in pop music history. Historic and current trends in bass performance are combined with the specific needs of each student, resulting in lessons that are both personally tailored and industry relevant. It’s all about achieving what you want to learn in the best way possible!
If you can bring your own bass that’s great, as it’s good to get used to playing the same instrument. If not just let us know as we have a suitable bass at the school for use in lessons.
Our bass lessons can teach you the grooves, bass lines and riffs from any genre of music such as:
- Heavy Metal
We’ll teach you the core elements so you’ll fully understand how to approach and use them on your bass. You’ll be creating imaginative bass lines, grooves and fills in no time for the genre and styles you like.
Our bass lessons are £30 for 40 minutes with children’s bass lessons at £25 for 30 minutes.
To book lessons with any department just call 020 7240 2222 or book online:
Buying for someone else?